Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Kindness

Ol' Curly realized something yesterday he hadn't seen before. He was so worried about other riders waving, that he'd forgotten about all of the other kind gestures that us cycling folk partake in.

Curly left the ranch yesterday around 5:30... Pourin' like a sonuvagun. Now on the way out to the wagon Curly noticed a bike commuter passsing him in the other direction. Big feller... Didn't think nothing about it at the time, but as I drove back down that street I watched that same feller approaching them damned useless railroad deathtraps on Utah St... WHAM... he hit hard and fast. I could see it coming. About 4 cars... made their way around him... being careful not to splash him I guess as they drove by... he's still laying on the pavement. Now you'd think I'd be ranting about that... Naw... Curly pulled over to see if the feller was ok. Sore shoulder and torn coat... but he sez he's fine. I notice that his wheel ain't lookin' so hot so I offer to give him a lift a few yards to stop at the company lockup to true it for him... "Great!" he says... I get a truin'... workin' away... noticing that his wheel is quite a mess for such a simple fall... "All done feller!" I say as I hand him his wheel... He says "Thanks... I've been meaning to take that to a shop for a year now."
Your Training: Do some damned bike maintenance today. Cuz I done my good deed for the month... that wheel was WAY out of true.

4 comments:

Old as dirt said...

What a Guy!

Anonymous said...

yeah... didn't know I was the mechanic you can afford did ya?

Old as dirt said...

Nope!
And if you saw that guy riding down to Sewer Pk, I'd bet he wouldn't wave ;-)
Stoked did an awesome ride today, go see. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

Way to go there Old Curly!

From your friend: The Lone Ranger Rides Again