Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Power Bars and Gels

Welcome back from the holiday distractions. I hope you rode your trainer this morning cuz we don't have time for time off. Not that many weeks until the first training race and it'll go quick.

Coach Curly wants to address an important issue (i.e. he's gonna rant about something that pisses him off). Eating while you ride. Now Mrs. Curly got me a whole mess of power bars for Christmas. Of course I had to be nice and say "thank you" but it got me thinkin' about how the hell we've come to the point where we'll pay $1-$2 for a light snack that contains "just the right amount" of carbs and... blah blah BLAH! There's just no way in hell a company can make the perfect power bar or better yet, that sweet nectar that is... Pow-Hurl Gel... and when did cream cheese and jelly sandwiches stop working? Hell, back in Curly's day, we took a chicken breast, hard-boiled eggs and salame sandwiches with us...OH... and a little used beverage called "just plain water" on our training rides... then when we got home we whipped up a big ol' glass of Ovaltine for recovery. Calories is calories folks...

Now this week, I want you to come up with a homemade power bar recipe and e-mail it to me... I've put a link for you in the sidebar. If you can't come up with that, I want a ride food list from you instead... and I'd better not see any damned power bar names in it either... I'll post the best recipe at the end of this week and include a picture of you (of how I see you that is)

That is all... now git to ridin'... you got work to do if you're gonna be in shape by April.

*** EDIT - Coach Curly don't need your e-mail in the submission... he'll just throw it away anyway... or you can leave it blank.

3 comments:

Old as dirt said...

Now you're talking my language!!And remember when we used to fold the spare tyre's over our shoulders, and flip the wheel over to cange gears? Them were the days : -)

Cobbles and Frites said...

Old As Dirte... I'm expectin' to see your recipe this week... and it better be good. No playin' around like last time

UltraMick said...

His "recipe" for ride/race food has been duly submitted to the recipe roundup page.